Roger Donnelly is a part-time PhD student of UNSW@ADFA. He is looking for people who went to Scheyville to interview for his research.
In 2001 my honours topic, which was on the Officer Training Unit formed at Scheyville during the Vietnam War, was published as a book by University of Queensland Press. The book is titled “The Scheyville Experience”. Now I am doing the total history of the Scheyville site. I wish to interview and/or receive input from people of Estonian, Latvian and Hungarian heritage who went to Scheyville when they and their families migrated here somewhere between 1949 and 1964.
In late November, I will be visiting Canberra, and Sydney again for research. In my experience there are some people who like to meet face to face and talk whilst others like to talk on the phone, while others prefer to just write/or email some thoughts.
The interview prompts include the following:
- What was your country of birth?
- Where did your journey to Australia begin?
- How did you get here?
- If by ship, do you remember the name?
- Where did you arrive in Australia?
- When did you arrive?
- When did you arrive at Scheyville?
- Who else came with you? Parents, brothers, sisters.
- What were your first impressions of Scheyville?
- Did these later influence your view of Australia, and other Australians?
- What other memories come back to you of Australia and Scheyville?
- Was your family together when you were at Scheyville, or did some family members have to go elsewhere?
- Did you or a family member have a job at Scheyville? What was it and what was it like?
- Where did you move to after leaving Scheyville?
- Do you have any photographs or memorabilia items of Scheyville?
- May I have a copy of them please?
If you can help Roger in his reaserch, please contact him on email@example.com or 03 95 100 326.